Sunday, August 30, 2009

Literary Profile

I remember as a child reading books that were really hard for me. I didn't start reading till I was 8 and didn't fully start comprehending what text actually meant until I was 10. Glad to say that I am now a speed reader that completely understands the topics that are thrown at me! Some of the first books I remember reading are: the Berenstain Bears, Peanuts comic strips, Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears, Corduroy, Rikitikitembo, The Ant and the Grasshopper, Wizard of Oz (whole collection), The real Little Mermaid & Cinderella stories and among many others.

The most recent memories I have a literature are of books like: Fried Green Tomatoes, The Pact, A Man Named Dave, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, My Sister's Keeper, The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud, The Secret Life of Bees, Little Women, and Tuesdays with Morrie. Most of these books have an underlying theme that points to what choices we have in life and how they impact us and those around us.

The most significat text ever read to me was Rikitikitembo. I remember my grandmother reading that story to me every time she had a chance to see me. I was seperated from my grandmother at the tender age of 8 so remember that time and that book is bold in my memories. It was a silly story about two brothers Sam and Tikki Tikki Tembo No Sarimbo Hari Kari Bushkie Perry Pem Do Hai Kai Pom Pom Nikki No Meeno Dom Barako. (yes that's his entire name) Basically, each boy falls into the town well at some point in the story. When Sam falls into the well it's easy for Tiki Tiki Tembo to say, "help sam!", but when Sam needs to help Tiki Tiki Tembo in his time of need he needs to keep repeating his entire name over and over again. This becomes tiring, so it is said that after this story many Chinese parents began to give their children shorter names. It's just a cute little story with a hilarious name. When my grandmother read it out loud to me, it was hilarious to hear her keep repeating the name. I'll never forget that.

I believe literature is so important. Books sometimes bring to life what movies can't do on their own. Books prove that there is still imagination and creativity left in the human soul. Through books, I believe that God talks to us. I think literature also helps our minds to grow and go to places in our imaginations that we wouldn't otherwise think to go to.

Picture was taken from: www.thereadingnook.com

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! It's well written and I really appreciate the picture.

    You really are a serious reader. You've reminded me that I need to read "The Secret Life of Bees."

    You say you're a speed reader. I hope that one of the things you get from this class is an ability to read slowly as well.

    You say: "Through books, I believe that God talks to us." I agree!

    PS You should turn off "comment verification" so it will be easier for people to comment on your posts.

    ReplyDelete