Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Book of Joel

(This blog post is for the "blog homework" due for Sept. 24th. The original Joel blog was not done in time. The "pass" for that assignment was accidentally posted after this blog.)

I felt like when I read this book that it didn't speak to me all that much. I didn't think it really related to my life at all right now. Sometimes it's hard to talk about not being sure where God is or being angry with God, but it is talked about in Joel. I wasn't too keen on the lake idea today. I did have to warm up to it. Once I realized why we were out there, I clicked into it and got something more from the context rather than just "reading through it".

I choose to stand out by the lake. I really didn't feel compelled to sit by the lake. I didn't want to be equal with the lake. I didn't really even want to look at it. Once I started reading some of Joel along with looking outward at nature, I saw openness. I realized that I could breathe. It was ok to not be stressed out. Once I opened up and accepted that I was able to read the text, full in its meaning. It wasn't until I got over my own feelings that I could actually listen to what God wanted to tell me through this text.

The part I choose to reflect on dealt with was:
Now return to the LORD your God,
For He is gracious and compassionate,
Slow to anger, abounding in lovingkindness
And relenting of evil.

Weep between the porch and the altar,
And let them say, "Spare Your people, O LORD,
And do not make Your inheritance a reproach,
A byword among the peoples say,
'Where is their God'"?

The first verse speaks of how open God is. How apparent it is that He resides within us, yet the whole thing ends with "Where is their God?" That just amazes me. It's almost backwards. One minute we realize that God is amazing and loving, then the next thing we know we turn our backs and go, Where are you God? How can we do that?! This scenerio reminds me of when as kids when we'd play hide and seek and we'd turn out the lights and hide. How can you find anyone in the dark if you turn their back to you? It's impossible, unless you speak out. Joel is all about speaking things into action in order for things to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment