Sunday, October 25, 2009

Becky--Lectio Divina

The story presented in class on Thursday was quite different. It was emotional and somewhat hard to hear. It was real and sad. Doing the Lectio Divina with the reading today was okay. Maybe it was just hard for me to get into the reading, or maybe I just felt in the moment that I couldn't relate to it.

Becky was a woman. We have no idea, from reading, what she looked like, sounded like or even thought. We know she had two children, both of color, while Becky was caucasion. She had no husband, and no one knew who had "given" her "colored" children. You can tell Becky was the "black sheep" of the town. The one that people helped, but only in secret so they themselves would not be persecuted by the majority.

I thought of so many things while listening to this while Jen was reading it. I wondered if this was something I did in my own life. If I shunned people, or cast them out because they are too hard to be around. I was wondering if I was just as selfish as the people in that story were being when they wouldn't help Becky out and literally left her to die a sad and LONELY death.

This story was an eye-opener. It wasn't about people not coming together as one, but rather the chance to see the mistakes others make and correct them before we make them as well in our own lives.

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff, Brit. Since you already know what I think about this (since we discussed it together!) I'll just leave this comment short. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was interesting that when we read this short story through the first time we all thought it was ridiculous, yet by the final read-through we not only understood it but we were emotionally charged by it. It not only made this story a memorable one but really reminded me that most times I don't quite grasp what I read the first time through. I need to take my time and really reflect on what I am reading and hear what others have to say about it.

    ReplyDelete