Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Invisible Man

After having a brief discussion with Prof. Corrigan, if I should read this book or not, I'm glad that I am. It is a bit hard to understand at first, but it becomes somewhat of a thriller. I see the difference between today's literature in the science fiction world versus the kind in H.G. Wells' era. His book is somewhat to the point while keeping the main points somewhat elusive till the end. I am only partially done with this book, but so far it's grappling.
I found out that H.G. Wells is concidered the "father of Science Fiction". I found that kind of interesting. According to Barnes and Nobles' list of classics, the "Invisible Man" makes the cut. When I first picked it up I did not think of that. I just thought of a book that I needed and it had to be something I had never read before. Well, I'm glad I picked this up, even though I'm not into too many science fiction novels.
In the beginning it was somewhat dry. I'm not a fan of books that are dry so immediately I wanted to put it down and search for something else better in the library. I picked the book back up thinking that it had to have some significance--it is on the "classics" list. I read further into the pages and everything from how the invisible man looked at first glance to the how the candles where put in the candle holders in the bed & breakfast. The furthest I've gotten in the book is where the invisible man meets up with a doctor while on the run from people who have found out what he truly looks like under all the bandages he wears. I've also found out that his name is Griffin.
The book is quite grappling and I cannot put it down. I hope to find out more as I read through it. While reading it I'm making sure to focus more on the character rather than the plot and so far this book seems to be perfect for doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment