Thursday, October 15, 2009

What if we were invisible?

What if we were invisible? What would we do? Would being invisible help or hinder our lives? I've asked all of these questions while reading "The Invisible Man," by H. G. Wells. I saw what the man, who I eventually found out his name was Griffin in the story, went through while he was invisible. He was virtually a "nothingness" among humanity. No one could see him. He got hurt on several occasions because of his lack of human flesh, which also harmed his ego at the same time. He would have to hide out in places while it rained or snowed because people would begin to see the outline of his body and not understand why they were seeing that. He had to hide from everyone, until they eventually found him out. When they found out who he was and how angry he was at people for "making" him become this, they sought to bring him down. They killed Griffin in the end, but perhaps that was only the beginning to many of our own stories.
I know in my life I've felt times of invisiblity. A time were I could slip off into a corner and no one would be the wiser. Now, I wasn't virtually invisible, but I was invisible to everyone around me. Isn't funny how we can sometimes "make" people invisible without even knowing it. I know sometimes when I'm left out or "invisible" I become bitter. Because much like how Erwin McManus recently said at fire fall, "we were meant to be in a relationship with one another. we are meant to be together." Does being invisible fit into that logical statement?
While reading about Griffin and how he felt during this whole invisible experiment gone a rye, I began to wonder if our own thoughts on the ending of the story. Sure, Griffin dies a horrible death by being murdered by people that were in fear for their own lives, but how does that fit in with my life? I began to wonder, in the beginning he was invisible, in the end he wasn't...in the beginning I was invisible, at the end of school, life, etc...will I not be?
The Invisible Man really had me thinking about my spirituallity as of late. It is a science fiction book and it's meant to scare the reader quite a bit, but for some unknown reason I received a religious experience from it. It was a decent read and I recommend it to my fellow peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment