Sunday, October 11, 2009

Polk Museum

The picture depicted above is one that is in the Polk museum. It is entitled "15 men". While walking around with a small group of people, I realized that his painting just spoke out above the others. It was one of the larger paintings, but still it wasn't it's size that drew me to it. When I first looked at the painting I noticed that it was in a sepia tone. It's very basic in color, but not basic in dimension. The 2D painting seems to pop out at us in a 3D manner. In the painting, notice that if you see the man's face, you wion't see "whole" parts of his hands, and visa versa...if you see his hands you will only see part of his face. I'm not quite sure what the concept behind that is, but I find it fascinating!
Another hallway most of the class walked down was the hallway of "families". In the photos, they were all from different backgrounds, jobs and hobbies. Some of the facts behind the families upset, but still I think all of those families are somewhat happy. Are they satisfied? No. But they are happy. Is it a forced happiness? Maybe in some cases, but they are still happy nonetheless.
The museum was a great experience. I enjoyed it. It allowed us to better connect with the two poems "Ethics" and "Musee des Beaux Arts". I feel that "Ethics" was allowing us to feel more deeply about the art. Whereas "Musee des Beaux Arts" was more about what's inside the painting. Having both of those perspectives while looking at art is very important. It's about removing yourself and putting yourself in the place of the painting and the painter.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your insight of the painting "15 men', I wouldn't have noticed on my own that you could solely see either the face or hands of each man. I really was captured by that painting as well, seeing it again on your blog has made me want to understand it a little more. Maybe there is more information about it online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved walking through the museum with you! you and Candice were so excited about this piece!
    You had a great eye for the details in this painting :)

    ReplyDelete